A polytechnic student decided taking his life was the best alternative after losing his school fees and that of his roommates to sports betting.
The troubled student could not withstand the pain and embarrassment of losing his money and probably his entire life to the betting company after the odds he selected failed to ‘boomed.’
Samuel Adegoke, a National Diploma II student in Electrical Electronic Engineering, reportedly ingested a chemical substance on Monday while his classmates were getting ready for the first-semester exam, according to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
He was taken urgently to the clinic at the school for first aid before being sent to a speciality hospital, where he was later declared dead.
Sola Abiala, the school’s public relations officer, verified the news, stating: “The specialist hospital discovered that the late pupil had consumed a snipper.
His father informed the school that his son had squandered his tuition money for gambling during the previous semester and had to be saved by making another payment.
The deceased, who was well-known for gambling away his tuition, according to Abiala, left no note indicating that he had committed suicide.
Any student who does not pay their school fees will not be allowed to take a test, according to our rules.
He committed suicide because he knew he and his friend wouldn’t take the exam.
“We sent for and briefed his parents. His father informed us that his late son had committed the same error during a previous session and needed money sent to him to cover the costs.
He claimed that he would have paid for the most recent one if he had known about it.
“However, when we approached the father to claim the body, he refused and stated he couldn’t bring his son’s body home.
“He requested that we bury him. The school had to cover the charge for the second student whose fee was used to gamble in order to avert another catastrophe, as well as a portion of the funeral costs. We did not want him to follow suit.
“We were taken aback that he left no suicide note behind. We failed to spot any messages. When we went to his house to look for a note, we only found the bottle of Snipper he drank.
Samuel Adegoke was a student of the Federal Polytechnic Illaro in Nigeria and was a victim of the excesses of sports betting addiction among many youths.